Find and fix leaks at your business
The 3-step leak check
Step 1: Ask people in your business not to use water while you do the test, and make sure that there is no water being used in your business i.e. that the dishwasher or irrigation is not on.
Step 2: Go to your water meter and take a reading of the last two red digits on your water meter - write down or take a photo of the reading.
Step 3: Wait 5 minutes – remember not to use any water during this time. Take a reading of the last two digits in red. If there was any movement of the dial, you may have a leak - even the smallest movement can add up to a lot of wasted water over a year.
Reminder: It’s a good idea to try and do the 3-step leak every few months. Perhaps set yourself a reminder, such as when your bill arrives.
Where should I check for leaks?
- Leaks can occur regularly in the garden - check for wet patches, green spots, popped off drippers, joiners or disconnections in the garden irrigation system every couple of weeks.
- Check for dripping taps and showerheads.
- Leaking toilets can leak far more water than a tap – sometimes up to hundreds of thousands of litres a year being wasted. You can check by listening for any noise or water movement in the bowl, or by putting food dye in the cistern and seeing if it ends up in the bowl as demonstrated in the video above.
I’ve found a leak, how do I fix it?
Simple leaks can be easy to fix yourself if you learn how. There are a number of ‘how to’ videos that you can find online to help. Why not do a quick search on You Tube?
Alternatively, find out who can fix leaks for you:
- Get advice about fixing simple leaks in your home by talking to your local hardware store person.
- Identify a local handy person to help fix simple leaks.
- To find and fix more difficult leaks contact one of our registered plumbers to access a Leak Find and Fix rebate.
I’ve found a leak that’s not at home, what should I do?
- In the street - report it within 48hrs to Power and Water by calling 1800 245 092
- At work - report it to the manager and/or maintenance person within 24hrs